[dsdl-discuss] Re: (off-topic) Splitting up a fast-track standard

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 18:28:10 UTC

At 2007-04-05 02:00 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Can anyone (Ken?) tell me, what are the procedural options at ISO
>for splitting up a fast-tracked standard into separate standards
>(not parts) as part of ballot resolution, without requiring extra time?

The ballot is on the documents as presented. As I've seen noted to
you offline, you could specify those changes that would change a
"disapprove" vote to an "approve" vote.

>The motivating case is, of course, Office Open XML. As a standard I
>suspect there are two flaws that could usefully be corrected:
>
>1) OPC should become an independent standard. Open Packaging
>conventions are the *only* place in standarddom where ZIP is
>specified, and it would great if it were politically positioned
>where ODF could pick it up. It also does much of what Bento/OpenDoc
>did, providing a compound file format with a lookup table system to
>give name and location independence of parts. OPC is about 131 pages.
>
>2) VML should be moved out, into a technical report or annex. It is
>legacy documentation (actually there are a few places it is used
>rather than DrawingML but I expect MS and other implementers will
>want to kill it off in the future) which is useful but problematic
>in a standard.
>
>So my question is that if a national body said "These things should
>be moved in different standards or TR or PAS" can ISO just be asked
>to allocate some new documents, the editors make the split, and all
>the new documents become FDIS? In other words, as part of a ballot
>resolution, can 1 exceptionally large DIS be split into multiple
>FDISs with different numbers?

I don't see that happening as part of the ballot resolution, but then
I've not participated in ballot resolution before.

Fast tracks are different than typical committee developments. I see
your input as valid committee development decisions that arise from
CD reviews, culminating in a number of FCD documents representing the
final version of the specification to be balloted on as a DIS draft
standard, which is then processed into a final IS standard.

The committee has been presented with a fast track draft standard
(DIS), so we vote on it as it has arrived. Section 9.8 of the
Directives notes that "conditional approval should be submitted as a
disapproval vote". There appear, however, to be no limits on the
types of changes one can propose. So I suppose any national body can
submit anything as changes! It would be up to the ballot resolution
meeting to determine what to do to reach consensus.

Note that one cannot read too much into 9.8 regarding disapproving
votes ... SC34 obtained clarification in section 4 of
http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0835.htm that national bodies may
express any comments they wish.

--
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/d/