[dsdl-discuss] Publishing XHTML 1.1 schemas in RELAX NG as a JTC1 TR

From: MURATA Makoto <murata_at_hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:49:26 +0900

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering whether SC34 should start a project for
publishing XHTML 1.1 schemas in RELAX NG as a JTC Technical
Report.

I know that HTML 5 will probably replace XHTML 1.1, but XHTML 1.1
is widely used for example by EPUB. EPUB at present uses the XHTML
DTD (from an NVDL script!) probably because there are no official
RELAX NG schema for XHTML.

It appears that W3C does not plan to maintain XHTML 1.1. So, I
guess that W3C is unlikely to publish any specs for XHTML 1.1 RNGs.

James Clark first published schemas for XHTML 1.1.
http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/xhtml/

Since then, Masaysu Ishikawa (then-W3C) e-mailed bug fixes and his rewrite
of the RNG schema for the ruby module.

http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/schemas/rng/ruby-1.rng

I also heard that Petr Nálevka and Henri Sivonen modified the schemas by James.

I would propose to publish a TR containing the original schemas
by James and the ruby module rewrite by Ishikawa-san. I believe that
publishing such an official schema does not tie the hands of others (eg., Petr
and Henri) at all. This legal issue should become clear soon hopefully.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata_at_hokkaido.email.ne.jp>